Thursday, April 28, 2005

We need more people like long haired GNU guy

Before I go into the difference between Wal-Mart and GNU-Linux, I must first comment on the share holders meeting for Wal-Mart. How disturbing was that? “Give me a W!” Also, the guys in Revolution Open Source, although I liked them, kind of creeped me out. You know the first thing they did when they were done being interviewed was go home and play Dungeon and Dragons. Now that I have that off my chest…

I knew I hated Wal-Mart and this piece just justified my hatred. I understand that Wal-Mart wants to sell the cheapest products, but when it directly affects the American economy, I see a problem. I felt terrible watching the workers talk about their plants being shut down because they couldn’t compete with foreign companies who could produce a product for much cheaper. Megan described it perfect when she said that Wal-Mart uses fear to be able to have such low prices. Being a bully will make you the number one superstore, but it will almost make you hated by many. I guess you pick your poison and Wal-Mart has chosen to be hated, but hated with a lot of money.

The guys in Revolution Open Source see things very differently. They’re all about things being free and sharing and everyone participating. Now, that’s a concept I can get behind. Instead of bowing to the bigger companies, Microsoft, GNU-Linux opposes its dominance. I totally respect the long haired GNU guy and his ideas about sharing software. I love that he is all about doing what is best for the people. You really don’t see people who are willing to sacrifice money and ownership for the betterment of a product. Bill Gates obviously wanted his piece of the pie with that nasty letter he wrote. All he cared about was making sure that whoever created the software got paid. I guess that’s why he’s a billionaire. I don’t have a problem with people looking out for themselves, but if someone is willing to do something not for money, fame or power, I just really respect and admire them. Long live long haired GNU guy!!

Alexis talks about the push and pull aspect of business and how Wal-Mart has a pull system, while GNU has neither. Wal-Mart can just continue to pull if they want to and put American companies under. Rubbermaid and other companies were forced out of business because they just couldn’t compete with companies in China. It was reassuring to see that the company in Tennessee (was it Tennessee?) won its case against the companies in China. That gives me hope that maybe, just maybe things might someday change.

Well, even if things don’t change, at least there are still people out there like long haired GNU guy who really do care about the people. He doesn’t do anything just for himself, but he does it for everyone else and I think he is just amazing. And let me just end by saying that the song at the end of Revolution Open Source was wicked awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home